In Bourbon Country, we meet foodies from all over who travel here just for Bourbon whiskey. We recently met Jaye Beeler, journalist and Food Editor of The Grand Rapid Press . She just wrote two fantastic Bourbon articles: Tips for Traveling Kentucky’s Bourbon Trail and Basking in Bourbon on those links. With her Kentucky heritage, she shares two Bourbon recipes of her own below with us on BourbonBlog.com, Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie and Bourbon Mint Cake. “People ask me why my bourbon recipes turn out better when I make them versus when they make it. The answer is simple: I only use Knob Creek Bourbon in recipes,” Jaye tells BourbonBlog.com. Check out more from Jay Beeler, visit her Great Tastes Blog on this link.
Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie Recipe
by Jaye Beeler
* 1 graham cracker pie crust for a 10-inch pie plate or store-bought large Keebler (2 extra servings) graham cracker pie crust
* 3 large eggs
* 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1 cup white corn syrup
* 1/4 cup good-quality Knob Creek Bourbon
* 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup chopped pecans
PREPARATION: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on low speed. Add butter, sugar and flour, beating until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, corn syrup and bourbon, beating until smooth and creamy. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans until blended. Pour pie filling into prepared graham cracker-lined pie plate.
Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour or until the pie filling cracks just a bit here and there. Cool for two hours before slicing or chocolate chips will ooze everywhere. Serve with a scoop of the best vanilla bean ice cream you can find.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Bourbon Mint Cake Recipe
by Jaye Beeler
* 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
* 8 eggs yolks
* 2 tablespoons Knob Creek Bourbon
* 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
* 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
* 4 tablespoons double action baking powder
* 3/4 cup milk
PREPARATION: Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 (9-inch) pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
In a large mixing bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and add sugar gradually. Beat the mixture until it is light and creamy.
Beat in the yolks one at a time and add bourbon and mint extract. Sift and resift the flour with the baking powder. Add the sifted ingredients alternately with the milk in four additions. Beat the batter smooth after each addition. Pour in pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until done.
Spread mint frosting (recipe follows) evenly over the cooled cake. Lightly spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Garnish with fresh mint leaves. Chill to set. Take cake out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cutting to serve.
* 2 cups (1 12-ounce package) white chocolate chips
* 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 teaspoon white creme de menthe liqueur or 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
PREPARATION: Melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted.
Remove from heat and stir in creme de menthe liqueur (or mint extract).
Let cool for 10 minutes, then spread evenly over the cooled cake. Lightly spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Garnish with fresh mint leaves. Chill to set.
Makes 16 to 20 servings.