Maker’s Mark Bourbon tells BoubonBlog.com they will release a commemorative bottle to the University of Kentucky Wildcats 1996 college championship team, known as the “Untouchables.” (Coach Rick Pitino and team pictured below.)
The “Untouchables” Maker’s Mark Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey bottle will be available at a suggested retail price of $55 only at retail outlets the state of Kentucky starting this Friday, April 7, 2017.
The limited edition release will be only a total of 13,000. Unlike the original Maker’s Mark bottle, this limited edition is a white bottle blue wax and a photo of players from 1996.
Coached by Rick Pitino, the 1995–96 University of Kentucky Wildcats men’s basketball finished the season with a 34–2 record and won the NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship over the Syracuse University Orangemen, 76–67. Some of the most noted Untouchables players included Derek Anderson, Walter McCarty, Ron Mercer, Antoine Walker., Tony Delk, Nazr Mohammed, Mark Pope, Jeff Sheppard, and Wayne Turner.
To celebrate the bottle release, there will be a bottle singing in Lexington, Kentucky at Keeneland on Friday, April 14, 2017. Maker’s Mark President Rob Samuels and 1996 University of Kentucky Wildcat team members Bill Thomason, Cameron Mills, Derek Anderson, Jeff Sheppard and Jared Prickett will appear to autograph bottles at the ticketed event (Full details below).
For more updates on this Maker’s Mark UK bottle release and other Bourbon news, subscribe to our Bourbon Newsletter on this link.
Bottles in the University of Kentucky Maker’s Mark Bourbon Series
Since 2015, Maker’s Mark has issued a limited-edition bottle coinciding with the Keeneland spring meet and the Maker’s Mark Mile race.
The 2017 release marks the third bottle in a series of five bottles that, together, pay homage to University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball and the school’s most recent national championships. The 2015 release featured Basketball Hall of Fame coach Adolph Rupp. The 2016 bottle featured coach Joe B. Hall cutting the net for the 1978 championship team.
In 2018 and 2019, bottles will be released to honor the 1998 and 2012 championship teams, coached by Tubby Smith and John Calipari, respectively.
The 2017 release is the third in a five-bottle series which benefits the Center for Academic and Tutorial Services, a program that supporting student athletes at UK.
Maker’s Mark says the goal is to eventually raise $2 million over five years through bottle sales, along with money from Maker’s Mark and Keeneland. Last year, the bottles helped fund a CATS expansion in the Joe Craft Football Training Facility.
Bottle Singing in Lexington, Kentucky Friday, April 14, 2017
A ticketed bottle autograph session event will be held at the Keeneland Entertainment Center beginning at 6 a.m. April 14, featuring players from the 1996 UK championship team, including Cameron Mills, Derek Anderson, Jeff Sheppard and Jared Prickett along with Maker’s Mark President Rob Samuels.
As all bottles must be bought in advance, there will be no bottles will be available at Keeneland. Bottle-signing attendees must have a ticket. Full details of how to get a ticket and attend are listed below. Check Keeneland’s website for any updates and changes on Keeneland.com.
- Participants must be 21 years or older to participate in the bottle signing.
- Signing will be held at the Keeneland Entertainment Center.
- Bottle signing tickets will begin to be distributed by Keeneland Security at approximately 7:00 p.m. (final time TBD) based upon weather and line length on Thursday evening, April 13. Tickets do not hold a particular spot in line. Tickets only guarantees signatures if in line as noted below. – Once a ticket is received, the holder may leave the premises and return by 7:00 a.m. Friday, April 14, for guaranteed signatures. Final time to be determined – check back for updates. When returning to the property, the ticket holder will join the line at the end.
- Duplicate tickets will not be accepted.
- There is no line position holding by people who are in line early; anyone cutting in line may be ejected from the property and would not be eligible to have bottles signed.
- Each ticket allows the ticket bearer to have two (2) 2017 Maker’s Mark/Keeneland Commemorative bottles signed on Friday, April 14. No other memorabilia will be signed.
- Ticket holders must be at Keeneland no later than 7:00 a.m. Friday morning. Final time to be determined – check back for updates. Parking will be available in the Keeneland Entertainment Center parking lot beginning Thursday evening and continuing through Friday morning.
- There is no camping overnight on Wed., April 12.
- Restrooms will be available for those camping overnight at Keeneland on Thursday night, April 13.
- Ticket holders camping out Thursday evening, April 13, and all participants arriving Friday morning, April 14, must abide by all policies and procedures or may be ejected from the property.
- Policies include, but are not limited to:
- Line may start forming after 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 13 – at the Keeneland Entertainment Center as designated by Keeneland Security
- Must be in line by 7:00 a.m. on Friday, April 14. Final time to be determined – check back for updates.
- No alcohol (other than the 2017 bottle)
- No coolers inside the Keeneland Entertainment Center/Keene Barn.
- Photos are permitted during the signing, but no posing with any of the signers at the signing table
- If tickets are copied to use for line access, the holders may be ejected from the property and will not be allowed to participate in the bottle signing.
- Policies include, but are not limited to:
- The bottle signing start time is to be determined. Details will be updated closer to the race meet.