BourbonBlog.com‘s Tom Fischer was recently a spirits judge at the “Judgement on the Hill Craft Spirits Competition” in Breckenridge Colorado.
Tom judged alongside fellow colleagues and spirits experts Penfield Jensen, head of the American Craft Distillers Association; Dave Pickerell, of Oakview Consulting and former Makers Mark Master Distiller; and Richard Wolf, industry consultant formerly with the Kentucky Distillers Association and Buffalo Trace.
This competition was a double-blind judging and 20 distinctions were awarded in 11 categories.
The awards are listed below by category.
“This format of judging helps raise the quality of the emerging craft spirits industry as a whole because our products are being judged on their intrinsic merit,” said Jordan Via, master distiller at Breckenridge Distillery.
This competition took place during Still on Hill Craft Spirits Festival 2013.
• Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey Gold
• Peach Street Straight Bourbon Whiskey Silver
• Spring 44 Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey Silver
• Distillery 291 “Bad Guy” Bourbon Whiskey Gold
• Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey Double Gold
• Distillery 291 Rye Malt Whiskey Silver
• Santa Fe “Colkegan” Whiskey Silver
• Colorado’s Own Corn Whiskey Gold
• J & L Snō Vodka Double Gold
• Spring 44 Vodka Silver
• Spring 44 Honey Vodka Gold
• J & L Snō Gin Silver
• Spring 44 Gin Gold
• Rob’s Mountain Gin Silver
• Peach Street “Jack & Jenny” Pear Brandy Double Gold
• Montanya “Platino” Rum Gold
• Breckenridge Distillery Spiced Rum Gold
• Fore Castle “Red Chile” Rum Silver
• Deerhammer “White Water” Whiskey Silver
• J & L Fÿr Liqueur Gold